Friday, April 11, 2008

Can't wait till winter... and the gas bills

I know the Spring weather isn't even here yet but I'm already looking forward to the Winter season to put our new high efficiency furnace to the test. Today we had a new furnace and air conditioner installed. This all came up pretty fast but basically our furnace was rattling like crazy lately and even required the occasional little nudge to get the exhaust fan going. I'm surprised that it got through the winter but it did. It was already rattling pretty bad last year but it seemed like now was the best time to replace it and also allow us a couple years to enjoy it rather than let some future owner get all the savings. While we were at it, we decided it was time for the air conditioner to be replaced too.

We ended up with a nice high efficiency furnace and a more efficient air conditioner for a fairly good price. I didn't know there were levels of high efficiency furnace prior to last week and different rebates to go with them yet too. We ended up with one with a DC motor if that means anything to you. I think we got a good price when I compare it to the price some other companies were quoting to install a mid efficiency furnace. Now while the furnace and air will initially cost us more we are supposed to get some good rebates. Boy I hope those rebates come soon. But the real test when all is said and done is how much energy we will be saving next year. That is why I am looking forward to next winter and seeing my nice low gas bills.
So it's done now and as an added benefit the air conditioner is now in the front yard under the window and we have gained a ton of space on the back patio. So all in all a good day, now only hope those rebates come in soon or I'm going to be pretty sore.

No comments: