Monday, February 18, 2008

Family Day

Our first Family Day turned out to be a relaxing day and we managed to pull it off mostly according to plan. The morning was no different than any Saturday or Holiday morning where we as parents wish for an opportunity to sleep in but the kids come tromping down the stairs at 7:30 shushing each other so loudly, barking at each other that Mom and Dad are still sleeping that we are left wondering if they have any idea how ironic the whole scene is.

I was pretty eager to get going today actually because I bought some Goo Gone on Saturday and I was eager to use it up stairs to remove the glue left in the hall when we removed the runner. I actually had to get permission from Laura to do just one house renovation/improvemnt today. It was family day she kept reminding me and I wasn't allowed to work on the kitchen trim or other things around the house. (Is it any wonder I love her? Someone who tells you you must relax and not tackle the todo list) But this one thing I wanted to get done and I promised it would take less than an hour. Well it worked better than I expected and I was done in about 1/2 an hour and the old glue is all gone.

After that we go to visit Laura's parents and then come home for lunch and then off to the swimming pool. The swimming pool is where our plan fell apart. This Family Day thing is a great idea however there is nothing to do since all the stores and places are closed. One of the few things open is the pool and we were not the only people there as you might have guessed. The wait to get in to the pool was 45 minutes but the pool was only open for another hour. The kids were fairly disappointed as we headed back to the van and we started finding ways to make it up to them. We ended up getting some hot chocolate from Tim Hortons (the real thing we told them) and let them watch one of the DVD's they have already seen a hundreds times before, still always a treat for them it seems.

The last part of our plan was to take them for supper to Swiss Chalet since kids eat free on Family Day and I still had a gift card to cover our meals. A completly free meal, isn't that blog worthy??? We met with friends and had a good time.

So now the kids are in bed and it's time to relax and hopefully get to bed at a decent time tonight.

No comments: