Friday, October 31, 2008

Yeah!! I'm Finally Domesticated!!!

The title says it all. I have finally joined the ranks of so many other Moms. I have become a part of their "secret society";) I can join in on these conversations where everyone talks about all the things they have made from scratch (and saved money on too! right up my alley!!). I can breath a sigh of relief that I too am now DOMESTICATED! You see, yesterday I had the privilege of making apple sauce. Yes, apple sauce has now brought me to this new level of being a homemaker!
A very good friend of mine and I braved through making apple sauce together. Neither of us had done it before, so we weren't too sure what we were getting into! I stopped off at Bennett's on the way and picked up 4 different kinds of apples, 1/2 a bushel of each (while in the store a whole busload of older people came in - field trip?? - and when they saw my cart full of apples they smiled and said - going to be a busy day today for you isn't it? - it was busy, and it was a lot of fun too!).
Our first batch was made with out the peels, so lots of work peeling (we didn't have a machine to do that!!) and then coring the apples. Then we thru them in the pot and boiled them to a mush. Another friend of mind lent us an apple smusher/puree machine that took the boiled apples and made them into beautiful smooth apple sauce! How easy is that! Our next batch we tried it with the peel on, much less work, and it turned out beautifully as well (a bit of a pink tinge - but tasted great all the same!).
Unfortunately we ran out of time, but we ended up with 3 batches (worked out to about 11 baggies each). Which, we were quite impressed with - it was supposed to be more of a "trial-run" which ended up going very well. We were each left with about 1/2 a bushel of apples - which we decided we were going to make some apple crisp on our own for freezing (once you get started on this domesticated stuff...there's no stopping it!!!).
We had a fun time - lots of socializing in between (friends and family popped in during our day as well...a few extra hands to help!), and the kids had a blast playing with each other.
It was a great day to become domesticated!!
The Kids....I think they may have eaten more apples then we made apple sauce out of by the end of the day!
The Appples
Our weapons of choice

Hard at work!
Esther trying her hand at the "machine"
And Voila! Apple Sauce!

1 comment:

LV said...

Mmm, it is very yummy! I actually think we should make some more next week... What do you think?