Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Chicken Dance

Most of you have heard of or actually danced to the Chicken Dance at some point in their life. It's a classic - I've done it many times in my life...from being on rollar skates (which takes a little bit of talent) to ice skates (which takes even more talent if you can't skate worth beans to begin with!), and of course at many weddings. Well, I had my chance again on Saturday night to do the dance - Alvar and I went to my cousin's wedding and stayed for a bit into the "party" session of the wedding. Not that either of us dance, but we were socializing and having a good time. I promised my Aunt that I would do the Chicken Dance with her if it came on - secretly hoping that the song would be played after we left. Well, not more than 5 minutes after making the promise, the song was indeed played. So, we hopped on the dance floor and danced along - me, my Aunt, my Mom, and my cousin - laughing and having a good time. Having a good time that is until the song was over and I tried (key word here) walking back to our table! You see, I'm not as young as I used to be - and well, I paid for it by doing the dance. Part of the dance requires you to twist around and go down (usually as far down to the floor as you can go) - and giving it my all - I did just that. I'm pretty sure I pulled a number of muscles in the meantime. Ahh well...it was all worth it - we had a lot of fun, and it wasn't like I was planning on spending the rest of the evening on the dance floor anyway!

Tonight I was explaining to the kids how the dance worked. I tought them the "moves" and they had a lot of fun trying it out. Here are a couple videos - Esther "got it" for sure...I think it was a game for Anna and Caleb though, to see who could get to the ground fast enough (or make up their own version of the dance!).


No comments: