Monday, February 20, 2012

Hot Chocolate Festival

Today we hummed and hawwed about what to do on Family Day.  Nothing much is open, and all the really fun "kid geared stuff" is quite expensive (some of them over $20 per kid, yikes!!).
So, after some searching online, I came across a "Hot Chocolate Festival" at the Dundas Valley Park.  There was hot chocolate (obviously), live entertainment, crafts and a story teller.  The Gorilla Cheese Truck was also going to be there (I've always wanted a gourmet grilled cheese sandwhich!).
Well, this being the first year, I'm seeing it becoming an annual event because of how many people came out! When we got there they weren't allowing anyone to drive into the trail centre anymore - so we parked on the road instead (saved $8!!) and hiked our way in (along with a ton of other people).  And when I say "hike" I mean HIKE!!  It was a long way to walk to the trail centre!
Anyway, we managed to get there and enjoy a hot chocolate.  Unfortunately the line up for the story telling was too long, the craft was no where to be found and the line up for the Gorilla Cheese truck was also pretty much insane (apparently they ran out of pretty much everything)!
At least it was a beautiful day - the sun was shining, we did enjoy the hike and the hot chocolate was quite tastey (proceeds going to a good cause) - and it was free to go to as well (besides the donation for the hot chocolate itself).
Maybe next year they will be ready for bigger crowds and make it more of a whole day (it was from 11am-2pm) - even though we missed out on a lot of the events, I'd like a give it a second go next year!

No comments: