So I've been looking forward to this past Saturday since last year (literally one whole year ago!!). I picked up a wagjag for a wine tour for at the Hernder Estate Winery in St. Catharine's. Being the "last minute Sally" that I am, I figured why not wait till the last minute to use up the deal. And so, on the day of expiry a bunch of us trekked out to Niagara Country to sample some wine. Of course, the first real winter storm happened to land on this day as well - but, seeing as the deal expired today, we didn't have much of a choice but to head on straight thru it!
Our fearless driver, Danielle!
We actually left on fairly good terms with the weather, the snow had stopped - but the closer to Niagara the worse it became,we basically headed right into the storm.
Snow covered roads - even the highways were a mess!
Ahhh....we made it safely to our destination. Even covered in snow the place is very eye-appealing!
What's a winery without barrels! And lots of them! Although this place is a small-scale winery (in terms of making and bottling it's own wine) - the acres and acres of grapes is what they are known for more. They grow 50 types of grapes (at least that's what I thought I heard!) - I only thought there were 4 kinds...green and red with pits and green and red without!
Ice wine barrels! Although a very late season, they were lucky to have any season at all because of how warm our winter has been!
Huge vats of wine (and these ones pictured were actually the small ones).
One more picturesque photo of the place - it's actually an old cattle barn! All the wood from the barn is still there - giving the place a nice antique look to it - apparently they do over 130 weddings a summer there (that's a lot of weddings!) - the grounds are just beautiful!
It was fun to be all cultured for an afternoon - swooshing wine around in the glass, smelling it and getting the full flavour of the wine in your entire mouth! Then choosing some souvenirs to take home with us (the deal included some money to spend in the store).
Thanks ladies, for a lovely afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment